Friday, November 5, 2010

Frog Creature

Here's a little creature I did up on my own. I tend to sketch up these weird little creatures whenever I'm just sitting around and more often than not they start out like so. Usually they begin as a little doodle of a worm and then I work my way up to full blown creatures such as this one. After I sketch up a little bio of the creature I had to turn it into a figurine.


After the sketch, I made a quick schematic of the front and side view of the creature. Whenever I make something I usually do this to get a map of what I'm going to carve out in foam. I made the same forms on a block of foam.

I carved out the foam and made a very flat figure to begin with. The edges were carved down and the figure was made much smoother.
 


I never got around to photographing the process so I made these drawing instead to give an idea of what I did. Once I had my center piece I took thin pieces of dowel and broke them into segments for the legs and arms. The leg joints were hot glued when i had the right pose and then I pinned them into the body of foam.


From this point on I put several layers of paper mache clay on the figure to smooth it out, give it a durable body, and also form out all the details. When I finished with the paper mache and let it dry, I came back and cut a mouth out it with a razor. I also added some eyes by pressing the end of a tube against the head until in made an indent. The creature still has to be colored.








No comments:

Post a Comment